October 14, 2011

Sonnets by Kay

I take a Shakespeare class, we were reading sonnets, then had to write our own. A sonnet is a poem marked by the rhyme scheme of ababcdcdefefgg, that follows the measure of iambic pentameter which goes ba-bum ba-bum. There are usually 10 syllables per line and a total of 14 lines.
Here's two that I came up with...not perfect by any means, but I was proud of them. Shakespeare didn't name his sonnets, and for now...neither have I.

Sonnet 1
They say the heart grows fonder with distance,
But they all forget to mention the pain.
Yet my heart beats steady with persistence,
For it knows, greater than the loss is gain.
I cannot wait to see your face, for then,
The pleasure is just indescribable.
Compare you; I cannot, to other men,
And to forget you, I am unable.
Your voice is like sweet jingle bells ringing,
The written word cannot do it justice,
My heart threatens to stop when you’re singing.
My dear, it really is the best there is.
           I wait for you with baited breath my dove,
           I’m sure nothing is as strong as my love.

Sonnet 2 
I sit and watch the sunset from my roof,
Waiting for the moon, the one you share too.
I gaze at that sliver, sliver of proof,
Maybe you are that close, it could be true.
After all, we share the moon ev’ry night,
So we can’t really be that far away. 
Desperately I hope that I am right,
Or there will be tears where my head once lay.
I am holding out hope for you baby,
Praying to God for you to be closer.
The only answer I get is maybe,
So I dream about all that could occur.
         One day you’ll be mine, I am sure of it,
         But now it’s that, to you, I must admit.

No comments: